Tuesday, January 13, 2015

14 Things I Learned in 2014


About a year ago, I was hosting January Bunco club.  The girls were asking how I was adjusting to the change of leaving my job for 6 years.  I think I was saying something about how it still hadn't really sunk in yet, and my (always wise) friend, Kari, said "Yes, well you are going to be having a lot of changes this year."  Yep.  I remembered her words many, many times in the next 12 months.  It was rough.  There were a lot of changes.  And I don't like changes.  Also worth noting: it was awesome. 








Tim's mom gave us an ornament that has a piece of paper in it for us to write some memories of last year, or a prayer or hopes for the future.  I don't know what to write yet, but what keeps coming to mind is "2014... it was the best and worst year of my life."  That might be a little melodramatic, but it feels pretty accurate.  I've had some pretty great experiences, but following those are always some hard struggles.  I did manage to learn a few things, though, so I thought I would share them. As is typical for this blog, its mostly about me...

I am braver than I believe, stronger than I seem, smarter than I think, and loved more than I know. (Winnie the Pooh) If I could sum up the year in one sentence, this would be it.

I'm an interesting person. Special thanks to Brittany for pointing this out to me-- those words of encouragement have carried me through some tough transitions.

Clotted cream will change  your life forever.





People like me.  It takes awhile for us to warm up, but once we do, people generally seem to be okay with me.  Probably not everyone, but that's ok.

I'm glad I'm me and I'm glad I get to live my life. It works for me. (Thanks, God)

I'm not usually good at something the first time I try.  But I improve greatly the old-fashioned way: practice.

I could live in a city.  I could live in a different country.  I could move away from where I am right now.  It would be hard, but I could do it.




My greatest strength is my desire to spend time with the Lord. (Sarah Young, Jesus Calling)

My dogs are not my children.  Yes, I refer to them as "the kids," but if they really were my kids there's probably no way I could have left them for 3 months.  Having said that... I did miss them A LOT.




Places worth trying in London: Benugo, Shake Shack, Tai Won Mein (Greenwich), Dirty Burger, Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Cafe in the Crypt.  Places worth skipping: Giraffe, Wagamama.




Working retail is not as bad as I thought it would be.  In fact, I kind of enjoy it.

The Facebook has provided much insight into myself.  Those very scientific and reliable quizzes informed me that

  • If I was a dog, I would be a corgi.
  • Of all the Christmas movies out there, I'm Christmas Vacation. 
  • My sexiest characteristic is my intelligence.
  • I have a tender heart.  

That last one was the biggest shocker... I totally expected to get "stone cold."

I have multiplied my knowledge of the human body by about 100, my knowledge of microbes by about 50, and my knowledge of nutrition by about 50.  The best way to get your vitamins is to eat them in your food and get them from the sun-- no risk of overdose!




I have been blessed with many advantages in life that others have not, especially good parents and faith in Jesus Christ.  This shapes everything about how I view life and live life.  This absolutely gives me a leg up in our educational system and ability to "succeed" in our society.  Some people haven't had many people cheering for them, and that makes it hard to succeed.  Other people need more cheering than the world has to offer.  I want to cheer for those who would benefit from someone in their life consistently saying "you can do it."

I think I'm glad 2014 is over, but at the same time if I could chose to live a year over again, that would be the year.  I don't have that opportunity, so I'll just do my best to make the most of 2015.

What did you learn last year? Please share!

1 comment:

  1. I think I need to go to England for no other reason than to try clotted cream. Well that and murder mysteries are everywhere.

    ReplyDelete