Monday, April 21, 2014

Germany to Geneva

 
It's time we returned to Kelly and Steph's European Adventures.  We left off at our day in Cologne, Germany
 


After a few rousing games of Clue (so much drama!), some nachos, and popcorn we finally went to bed.  In the morning, we got to sleep in and take our time, since we didn't need to head to Frankfurt for our flight until 10.  Before we knew it, it was 9:30 and we needed to pack and dress.  A few stressful moments later we were out the door, heading down the hill toward the bus stop.  Kelly asked me if I had my passport, and I said "yes" but looked in my purse just to make sure.  I quickly realized I had left my phone in Ariel and Jan's apartment! 
 

Does this help you understand the incline we're talking about?
 
Ariel said "Jan, can you run and get Steph's phone?" Jan ran up the very steep hill, and we continued to the bus stop... we couldn't miss our bus!  No worries... Ariel had a few tricks up her sleeve.  Jan was running back down the hill, but we saw the bus coming.  Ariel sent Kelly and I to the bus stop, and she activated the pedestrian crossing signal so the light would turn red and the bus would have to stop before the bus stop.  It worked!  Jan (although slightly winded) had saved the day!  My hero (said in a swoony voice)!
 
After saying a hurried thank you and goodbye to Jan, Ariel, Kelly and I headed toward Frankfurt. We got on a really nice, comfortable coach bus, but unfortunately were unable to sit together.  I sat down next to a guy who had earbuds in, and didn't exchange a single word with him the whole hour plus ride.  Kelly sat down next to a guy, and chatted with him the whole ride there. Ariel sat further up and discovered WiFi on the bus, and sent us a message regarding the bathroom that none of us were brave/desperate enough to try.
 
View from the bus
 
We rode on the Autobahn, but honestly, it wasn't as thrilling as I had expected.  Granted, we were on a bus, so we weren't going very fast, but it didn't seem like the cars were going crazy-fast either.  I did see one castle, though!
 
 
 
We had a bit of time in Frankfurt before we had to be at the airport, so we had a look around.  We walked to the Rhine to look around. 
 
 
 
 The view was nice, but it was pretty windy and cold.  After wandering around a bit more, we grabbed a quick sandwich lunch, then started to head back.  Our coach bus had dropped us off at the central train station, where we needed to catch our train to the airport.  Ariel said that all of the roads in the center of the city were basically spokes from the central station, so we just had to chose one and head back.  We did, and were walking through some sky-scrapers in a nice business district. 
 
Then suddenly we were in a slightly different district.  The businesses were looking-- shall we say-- less reputable. There were fewer women on the street, mostly just men.  Ariel whispered to me "I feel like everyone on this street is a pimp." And there's a good chance she was right.  Needless to say, we quickened our pace, stuck together, and avoided eye contact. And tried to act confident and not scared.  We were crossing the street, just about out of the red light district when my roller suitcase tipped over and it took me a second to right it and keep going.  A moment later we were safely in the subway station, and there were other women again.  Breathing a sigh of relief, Ariel said that when I had the moment with the suitcase she almost turned to me and said "Forget the suitcase!  Let's get out of here!"
 
Lest you be afraid we were in danger, we weren't.  No one approached us or followed us or bothered us at all.  It's just not the kind of place you want to linger...
 
Ariel helped Kelly and I buy our train tickets and find our train.  She told us which stop to get off, and said they would probably announce it.  Then we had to say goodbye.  I'm not gonna lie... it was one of the hardest goodbyes I've ever said (right up there with leaving for Honduras).  Sigh.  I'll go back and see her again, though.
 
The train took off, and Kelly and I watched for our stop.  Good thing we were watching, because they did NOT announce it.  It was a close one (good call, Sister).  After some confusion, we got ourselves to Terminal 2, where Kuwait Airlines operates. 
 
Frankfurt airport is interesting.  There are several security zones throughout the airport, located very close to the gates.  In fact, the seating areas for the gates are on the other side of a Plexiglas wall, so friends and family can go quite a ways into the airport to see their loved one off.  They can wait until they go through security, and see them until they board the plane. It's kind of nice! I wish I had taken a picture.
 
Kelly and I were the only two going through security at that moment, and the staff were so friendly!  They didn't make us take off our boots, but then our boots set off the metal detector, so we had to step aside for closer inspection. They showed me a little booth with a seat, and the man said "Have a seat, and remove your boots, please.  Can I get you anything to drink?  Water? Cappuccino?". He was kidding about the drink of course, but they were very kind and helpful.
 
Once we got to our gate, I thought to myself, "Self, this is a huge seating area and not a lot of people.  Maybe they are sending a small plane to a big gate for some reason."
 
No.
 
No they weren't. 
 
It was a HUGE plane.  In coach, there were 3 seats, then 4 seats in the middle, then 3 seats.  Any maaaaaaybe 30 passengers.   I kid you not.  The stewards told us we could sit wherever we wanted, so we found the best window seats we could as far from the wing as possible, so we could enjoy the view as we flew in.  The flight was 45 minutes, and we got a full meal service. 
 
What I'm saying is this: Kuwait Airlines is awesome.  Also, quite the contrast from RyanAir, which we flew to Germany.  Don't get me wrong... RyanAir was fine.  It's just cheap for a reason.
 
Anyway, the views flying in over Lake Geneva were awesome.  So gorgeous.  We landed in Switzerland, swept through customs, then waited for our checked bag.  We may or may not have waited at the wrong luggage carousel, for quite some time.  What matters is, we did retrieve our bag.  And then met up with David and Callie, and Tim (who had beat us there).
 
 
 
That night we walked down to the lake and ate the most amazing fondue ever!  David and Callie have tried several other fondue places in Geneva, but had not been to this one yet.  David said this was the best one he had.  The difference is this place makes it with  champagne instead of wine, so it is lighter.  This means it soaks into and coats the bread better, and it also sits in your tummy a little better.  Yum!  Seriously yum.  The atmosphere is not very swanky (very hot, and very crowded) but a lot of fun. This is still the best meal I have eaten in Europe.
 
 
As sad as I was to leave Ariel in Germany, Switzerland was off to a good start.

1 comment:

  1. Yay blog post! Spending two weeks with you certainly spoiled me for sister time! I miss you!!! Having blog posts helps ease the missing!

    ReplyDelete