Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Chicken Bistro

I feel strongly about many, many things.  I will spare you the full list (for now) and only mention one belief I hold to strongly.

Miracle Whip is from the devil.

That "tangy zip" is one of the most offensive tastes attached to something that is allegedly edible.


Last night I made a horrible mistake.  I was tired, and stopped by HyVee after 9 o'clock to grab some groceries really quickly, and I needed to get some mayonnaise to make Chicken Bistro.  I buy the store brand, and mistakenly grabbed the jar labeled "salad dressing" instead of "mayonnaise."

I only discovered my mistake when Tim bit into his Chicken Bistro tonight and mentioned that it tasted "different."

He's so nice.  It was awful.

After trying to figure out how simply adding a little more mayo and using garlic powder instead of garlic (an item I forgot in my sleepy haste last night), I finalized realized what had happened.

Don't be like me.

Don't let "Salad Dressing" invade your home.  It will sneak up on you like a thief in the night.  Be careful at the grocery store.

So if you have MAYONNAISE, go right ahead and make this recipe.  It will be delicious!

I got this from my friend, Christine, so I hope I'm not stealing her thunder by sharing it here.  The dough in itself is wonderful, and I have used it for everything from Runzas to caramel rolls.  However, if you do not have a bread maker (or if you don't feel like making your own dough), you can buy the frozen bread dough and use that.  Maybe one "loaf" for this recipe?

For the dough (for bread machine)
1 cup water
3 T olive oil
1 t salt
1 T sugar
3.5 cups flour
1.75 t yeast

Put in bread machine in order listed.  Run through "dough" cycle.

CHICKEN BISTRO
1 c chopped cooked chicken breast (can marinate and grill, or bake w/ seasonings)
1/2 c diced red pepper
1/4 c fresh basil
1/2 c mozarella cheese
1/4 c mayo
1 garlic clove, minced
dough
egg wash (I skip this part)
1 t Italian seasoning

1. Roll the dough into two rectangle size pieces (probably 3 inches by 9 inches)
2. Mix the chicken, pepper, basil, cheese, mayo, garlic.
3. Put half of the chicken mixture into each dough rectangle, spread evenly.
4. Bring together the sides of the dough so that they cover the chicken mixture.  Pinch to seal in the mixture.
5. Place bistros sealed-side down onto greased baking sheet.
6. Brush bistros with egg wash, and sprinkle Italian seasoning on top. (Sprinkling fresh parmsean cheese on top is good too).  With a knife, slice 3-4 diagonal slits on top of the bistros.
7. Bake in 375 degree oven, for 25-30 minutes, or until it's golden brown on top and jut looks done.

1 comment:

  1. awww i feel so honored you shared this recipe!! who knew salad dressing would make such a difference? i'm not a fan of miracle whip either, just mayo please. :)

    ReplyDelete